Thursday, April 28, 2011

Forgotten Issues

 I sent this blog in on April 25th it still hasn't posted though they posted 2 more in between not sure what's wrong with this one any ideas readers?

 Forgotten Issues

Following the election CBC’s website I sometimes come across articles that get me thinking like this one in the form of one of their reality checks: Food safety: the forgotten issue?

It got me to thinking about what issues aren’t being discussed at least not with much depth?

A few months ago Kevin Lacey, Atlantic Director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation brought up the issue of the high salaries paid out to some the Chiefs on some of the Reserves (P.E.I. chief makes more than cabinet minister) Now this might not be being talked about because it is seen to be politically correct, it is still our tax dollars and in all the talk about tightening budgets and accountability why shouldn’t this issue be looked at.  Some of my friends who are native are more disgusted at this then non-natives, one friend in particular was completely unaware of these extravagant amounts and was visibly angry as he explained how this was completely “unacceptable” taking into consideration “the number of people on reserves living in poverty and the lack of addiction support and other services that are often needed on reserves”.

Abortion.  Ok it did poke it’s head up out of the sand last week (Abortion controversy heats up Saskatoon-Humboldt) , but no real truthful discussion  about the issue, and no this is not a religious issue, I personally was Pro-Life for at least 10 years before I became a Christian.  While the Conservative Candidate got in hot water for suggesting that funding be cut off to Planned Parenthood to me the bigger question is why are they getting funding at all and since Jack Layton and Michael Ignatieff state they are for a woman’s right to choose would they also ensure that  equal funding is provided to Advocacy Groups that would counsel against abortion, so then women have an equal opportunity to make an informed choice.  Both my children are adopted and my 9 year old son has been following the election with me and I had to explain to him what Abortion is after he heard about it being discussed and I explained what they meant about a woman’s right to choose, he asked “does that mean they think my birth mom should of not let me be born, that wouldn’t of been nice because I like living here and I know I’ve made you and momma happy”  so this an emotional issue on all sides.  I personally don’t think any politician will ever have the nerve to make abortion illegal, not even as part of some scary hidden agenda, but it would be nice to see party’s talking about promoting adoption over abortion, it would no negate “the right to choose” but would make sure as I said that informed choices are made.

A PEI Issue - The PNP Program/ Immigrant Nominee Program it is a hot topic in the province over the last year or so because of the abuse and political implication of Political Cronies receiving funding.  While it is the provinces who dish out the monies it comes from the federal government and there is no talk about how there was not sufficient oversight by the feds to ensure the money was spent properly.  The only thing I have heard about PNP was a discussion an accusation about the Liberal Candidate in Charlottetown benefiting from it through 3 companies he has a personal interest in.

These are just 3 which I can think of and I’m sure there are more, I would love to hear what issues you think are not being addressed in this election.

No comments:

Post a Comment